The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Paying For College


Subject:  Re: split residency Date:  12/11/2012  6:17 PM
Author:  inparadise Number:  7990 of 8398

From my reading of the state law, you would have to abandon your PA residence completely. That probably means you'll need to be removed from the title on the PA property.

Thanks for the info, PSU, but I can't see having to remove myself from property title. Owning property in a state other than which you reside does not make you a resident, or we would already be residents of PA, VA, and NC. I do see the need to move my personal stuff out of PA.

From your link: To become eligible for in-state tuition, a dependent student or unemancipated minor shall establish by clear and convincing evidence that for a period of at least one year prior to the date of the alleged entitlement, the person through whom he claims eligibility was domiciled in Virginia and had abandoned any previous domicile, if such existed. If the person through whom the dependent student or unemancipated minor established such domicile a