The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Computers, Phones & Internet / Help with this STUPID computer!

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/one-correction-to-wendys-litany-he-existing-hard-30426844.aspx

Subject:  Re: New Hard Drive in Old Computer Date:  12/11/2012  8:34 PM
Author:  OrmontUS Number:  182896 of 189639

One correction to Wendy's litany:

He existing hard disk drive was not slow because it was 60% full (this is not nearly enough to slow down a defragged drive). Her disk drive was slow because it is on its last legs (IMHO) and when she balked at a new PC from Costco (about $500 - in my opinion what she should have done), replacing the drive was the next best thing.

The Seagate DiskWizard software is by Acronis, which I think is an easier solution than Norton Ghost for many (and is free as well). She read a bunch of reviews and decided to buy Ghost instead. Either would have worked, but trying to explain the steps required to install a new drive and clone the existing one to it over the phone is always fun :-).

I guess she created her post from the notes she took (as she reinterpreted them).

All's well that ends well and her PC works pretty well right now.

As far as my opinion of Windows *? I'm using it on the PC I'm using right now, but using its "legacy" Windows 7 screen with a start button function downloaded from Pokki (free) and six programmed function keys on a gaming keyboard for when I use the newfangled stuff.

Jeff
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us