The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / Retire Early Liberal Edition

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/i-have-a-bit-of-a-problem-figuring-out-when-one-30426885.aspx

Subject:  Re: Poll: out of the workforce Date:  12/11/2012  8:53 PM
Author:  PolymerMom Number:  46768 of 59110

I have a bit of a problem figuring out when one should count being officially in the workforce. Does it begin after on graduates from high school, college or when one hits a certain age?

That said, I entered college immediately after graduating from HS. I took a part-time job the summer before my sophomore year and kept it until I graduated w/ a B.S.

Using that as a start time:

+6 months - while my new hubbie and I moved to the Boston area and bought a house.

~1 month - when we moved back, after he finished grad school.

~4 months - for first son's birth.

~4 months - for second son's birth.

~1.5 months - recovering from foot surgery, worked from home ~ half-time

~6 months - I was paid to leave in a "job action" at the ripe, old age of 61.5 years. Being in IT, I knew it would be thankless to try to get a new job at anywhere near my old salary, so I officially retired at 62.

As a retiree I was allowed to continue on my old company's health insurance plan, as long as I paid for it, until I hit 65. I have Medicare now, but continue to pay around $375/month for family coverage w/ my former employer, since my youngest is only 21 and heading into grad school. This includes a Part D equivalent drug coverage for both myself and MDH.

PM
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us