The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Computers, Phones & Internet / Webmaster's Corner

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/for-some-reason-that-reminded-this-old-it-mis-30427029.aspx

Subject:  Re: How much it costs to build a site like eBay? Date:  12/11/2012  10:51 PM
Author:  RHinCT Number:  16362 of 16444

For some reason that reminded this old (IT, MIS, DP, whatever) guy of something...

Somewhere in my paper archives is a folder titled Truth Hurts. One item in there is a photocopy of an article - perhaps from Datamation* - dating back to sometime in the 1970's titled "Staffing of the Albatross Project". This bit of satire outlines the staff required to complete a doomed-from-the-start project within the impossibly short time frame promised to the customer with the totally inadequate staff the customer's budget allowed. It lists various team members and their symbolic jobs, but the last position described is a brilliant fresh-out-of-school-and-utterly-ignorant-about-life programmer to build the system single-handed, as anybody else would know better than to try it.

*(I remember working for a couple of years before applying for a Datamation subscription because I was told they were choosy. I got back a letter telling me I qualified, and had been put on a waiting list; I would start receiving the magazine when my name floated to the top of the list. I think I have two particularly interesting issues in my files.)
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us