The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Computers, Phones & Internet / Apple User's Group

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/he-said-to-install-new-ones-every-3-years-if-you-30427168.aspx

Subject:  Re: Cinema Display HD Date:  12/12/2012  1:30 AM
Author:  awlabrador Number:  61655 of 70197

He said to install new ones every 3 years if you want to be safe.

Yeah, I think that's roughly about the interval at which I replace my APC UPS batteries. Mine have indicators and really annoying buzzers going off periodically when the UPS thinks it's time to replace them. My last battery was from ABC -- American Battery Company -- not APC, but it was cheaper on Amazon than the APC battery from APC's web site, and compatible. Still, I wasn't happy to get a battery that wasn't the same as the image (an APC battery), and others had complained, as well. For whatever reason I don't remember, I kept it, and it seems to have worked.

Back to my Apple 23" Cinema Display HD, I seem to have revived it. Back when I got my KVM switch, I kept plugging things in and taking things out until, seemingly at random, it worked. So, I tried it again. Others on Apple's community forums have reported that plugging and unplugging the power supply eventually got theirs working again. I reasoned there must be something in the power brick that needs to be deliberately discharged, so I shorted the power prongs together and left it a short while. When I plugged it in, the monitor started working again. I repeated the experiment by unplugging it and then failing to get it to work until after I shorted the power again.

I'm not saying that shorting the prongs was the cure. I don't have a circuit diagram to see if it's likely. It's voodoo. But I'm not going to do any more experiments, since it works now.

-awlabrador
Copyright 1996-2018 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us