The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / Retire Early CampFIRE

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/quotwe-have-had-waves-of-immigrants-that-30427434.aspx

Subject:  Re: Taxes Are Much Higher Than You Think Date:  12/12/2012  9:24 AM
Author:  ariechert Number:  659599 of 757652

"We have had waves of immigrants that support this. Cubans and Russians, Czechs etc with advanced educations working as cabbies etc is not urban legend in the history of the last 50 years, as an extreme example. I know many moons age, when I was working many hours and was single, I remember seeing in the area of 50 cents on the dollar after deductions and actively trying to avoid overtime." - lowstudent
---------

People figure out other ways of making cash money that they can stick in their pocket. My friend that used to own the meat business told me a lot of foreign Arabic types like to start Pizza places because it's all cash and they can just stuff the money in their pockets with no paper trail. The whole family works in the business and in just a couple of years they become millionaires.

Same thing with Indians that buy hotels and motels. They do everything themselves and any rooms they rent for cash gets put away and hidden.

My friend used to have a guy who plowed snow from his lot and he got like $75.00 each time, all cash.

People learn how to skin the rabbit. Yard sales, etc. Some guys around here got garages in back of their houses that they work on cars. I had friends that bought and sold horses, cars, trucks, guns, hunting dogs, etc. One friend used to keep a big roll of hundred dollar bills rolled up in his pocket. It was held together with a big rubber band!

Art
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us