The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / Retire Early CampFIRE

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/brewer-so-the-only-choice-is-to-recycle-the-same-30427500.aspx

Subject:  Re: Pat Buchanan: Conservative Discontent Date:  12/12/2012  9:55 AM
Author:  decath Number:  659606 of 757316

brewer
So the only choice is to recycle the same messages that failed in the last go round? Seems like a lack of creativity. Just off the top of my head, how about a new take on immigration? We seem to have a looming demographic problem that threatens long term economic growth. If we could encourage the right kind of immigrant (educated and productive) and credibly deal with the existing illegal population it could be a real winning message.

Possibly. What I don't get is why it's such a big deal? My wife's family is largely Hispanic. Her grandparents came to America legally back in the 1910's from Mexico and Spain. DW's late uncle was one of the 1st Hispanic lawyers in the state of TX. He worked for the state to get immigrants 'legalized' through the proper channels.

Even though they were all democrats, they fully supported 'legal immigration' and were very much against illegal crossing of the Rio Grande. In fact, I heard the word 'wetback' more at family gatherings with them than I ever heard anywhere else. In fact, I believe it was 1981, the year I first dated my wife that I learned of the derogatory term 'wetback' for the 1st time. They still feel that way. Maybe they are an exception.

decath
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us