The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Fun & Games / Computer & Video Gamers

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/or-something-else-i-can-register-on-steam-thats-30427697.aspx

Subject:  Re: Never thought it would come to this Date:  12/12/2012  10:56 AM
Author:  TheJTrain Number:  34978 of 36064

or something else I can register on steam!

That's another element (registration on Steam, like for Steamworks, even when you buy the disc version) that has transmogrified a bit in my mind from "Ugh, no reason to buy the disc now, so I won't buy it at all until it's a fire-sale Steam price" to a grudging "Yeah, ok, that's kinda nice". Examples are buying Portal 2 for $5 on GameFly but it consisted of a Steam code rather than an actual download (so although it's still listed in my wannabe-Steam GameFly client you don't actually do anything with it from there), and buying Skyrim on GreenManGaming (same thing, just a Steam code).

GMG has some awesome deals and coupons so it's become a "check-them-first" destination before I buy anything, and most of what's there consists of just a Steam code - so it's kinda like a second Steam that's got different stuff on sale.

Case in point: GMG's current "use it once" coupon is WINTR-SRVEY-42012 good for 35% off any one game, good through sometime Friday, and the 24-hour deal is Batman: Arkham City GOTY for $7.50. That and X-Com ($32 if you use the coupon) are both Steam codes.

JT
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us