The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / Retire Early CampFIRE

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/i-think-once-they-start-helping-theyll-realize-we-30427817.aspx

Subject:  Re: Good meeting last night Date:  12/12/2012  11:33 AM
Author:  lowstudent Number:  659642 of 756966

I think once they start helping they'll realize we aren't asking for them to move the world, just spend a couple hours helping your own kid and a bunch of other good kids to grow. Why did they join in the first place if they don't want their kids to have a bunch of neat experiences? Well, that can only happen if they help out a bit. It's part of the promise "The Cub Scout helps the pack go"... that means the Cub Scout's Akela helps the pack go too! It's a team effort.

It's funny most of my involvement with kids has been through athletics. Some other stuff with the schools etc, but as far as major involvements, boards etc, it has been athletics. But, as I am sure you know, volunteers, well they tend to volunteer -- so you run into many of the same faces over time.

Of all the complaints regarding volunteers, the Boy Scouts and the Girl Scouts were the activities that seemed to have the biggest problems, just going by the volume of hearing of difficulties. I do not know if it is folks are afraid of getting involved and being expected to go to outdoor activities and campouts etc., I really thought it was just isolated to my area, but I wonder if there is some hesitation due to stuff like that-- I know it would not be rational, but heck, a great deal of our hesitation/procrastination in not rational
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us