The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Personal Finances / Credit Cards and Consumer Debt

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/how-is-everyone-else-doing-my-daughter-needed-30427827.aspx

Subject:  Re: Hello There! Date:  12/12/2012  11:37 AM
Author:  FlippoHip Number:  306520 of 308566

How is everyone else doing?

My daughter needed braces and I chose to pay cash and avoid the finance charge/automatic withdraws (which was the only other choice). I hated taking that money from savings, but not as much as I hate the alternative. Insurance paid 50%.

The house needed some work and I had to put a few hundred $$ on my Lowes Card (at 0% financing for 18 months).

I started doing the Dave Ramsey "Get out of debt" plan and things are moving along slowly. Christmas was all paid with cash. It will be a modest holiday though.

I am getting a promotion on the 16th, and I have decided to put the payraise straight toward paying down debt. I've managed to live on my current salary for this long, so I won't actually miss it. I mean...I'll miss it and wish it was disposable income, but in the long run, being debt free will make me happier than anything I could buy right now.

The local Honda dealership called and they "need good, quality used cars to resupply their stock". They offered me a "great deal" to trade in my current car on a brand new CRV or Crosstour, with a low interest rate, a free extended warranty and, of course, coupons for discounted scheduled maintenance. I told them I wasn't interested in trading in my car, but if they send me the coupons I will bring them my scheduled maintenance business. He said he'd talk to the manager. Not going to hold my breath on those coupons.
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us