The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Religion & Culture / Atheist Fools

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/turkey-egypt-iran-iraq-syria-and-pakistan-30428632.aspx

Subject:  Re: Christianity collapsing in the UK! Date:  12/12/2012  3:59 PM
Author:  1poorguy Number:  414612 of 439902

Turkey, Egypt, Iran, Iraq, Syria, and Pakistan, to point out just a few examples of countries that had seemed to be becoming more socially modern revert toward islamic fundamentalism suggests otherwise.

The Emirate countries have allowed a precious few liberties for the ladies, but I fully expect them to lapse when muslim radicals break free of the yolks the monarchs and iron fists still have in place.

This is what I keep coming back to also. Even within modern, relatively progressive societies, these people still seem to revert to the baser elements of their religion. Obviously not all of them, but it's clear that being in a modern society is not sufficient to moderate many.

Which is why I still think we're going to have one huge knock-down drag-out fight in the coming years, and there are going to be a lot of dead people before it's over. Probably some irradiated areas too (on both "sides"). The only way to avoid it, as near as I can tell, is to accept blasphemy laws (i.e. loss of freedom of speech), accept "obscenity" laws (which would result in severe censorship; more freedom of speech gone), oppression of women (even if not "official", we'd have to tolerate it within our society), etc. Otherwise they will continue their crusade against the infidels (because that's what you do with infidels). People like me would find that unacceptable, and so begins the fighting.

The differences are so enormous, and there is no room for compromise. We should NOT compromise on our rights and liberties, and they WON'T compromise on what their sky pixie tells them to do. It's worse than the Tea Party and rational people...
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us