The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Religion & Culture / Atheist Fools

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/even-within-modern-relatively-progressive-30428673.aspx

Subject:  Re: Christianity collapsing in the UK! Date:  12/12/2012  4:12 PM
Author:  Beridian Number:  414615 of 445504

Even within modern, relatively progressive societies, these people still seem to revert to the baser elements of their religion. Obviously not all of them, but it's clear that being in a modern society is not sufficient to moderate many.

I do not disagree that there are some hard headed people out there, but when taking the big-picture view, things have progressed a great deal in the past 50 years. It's rather like geologic time, from our individual perspective it does not look like much progress has occurred, but when we consider several centuries we are miles ahead. We tend to hear of more fanatical actions these days simply because the Islamic culture is much less isolated than it was in the past, and when cultures collide there is conflict.

Think of making a photo copy of a photo copy, then making a copy of that photo copy. With each repetition the copy becomes less legible and more fuzzy. So it is with brainwashed people. The sad reality is that older people are nearly impossible to change. We simply have to wait for them to die out. Then as the next generation comes the indoctrination will be less stringent and more easily washed out.

I think this same principle can be observed with Christianity. Education speeds the process. We should be carpet bombing radical Islamic states with laptops and I-phones. Instead of opening military bases we should be opening universities.
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us