The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Personal Finances / Credit Cards and Consumer Debt

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/how-am-i-doing-good-question-lets-see-i-have-30429086.aspx

Subject:  Re: Hello There! Date:  12/12/2012  7:56 PM
Author:  Windowseat Number:  306525 of 308344

How am I doing? Good question.

Let's see.

I have acquired one grand-niece and two grandnephews.

In 2009 my mother had a bad fall and a small stroke, and had to move to a senior citizen community.

In January of 2011 I developed a shoulder infection that required emergency surgery and left me with a permanently torn rotator cuff. Two weeks after I made it back to work I slipped on the subway and my leg went into the space between the platform and the car, which resulted in tearing every muscle in the lower part of the leg and denting the bone.

In September of 2011 I was laid off from the best job I ever had. I finally got a temp assignment this week.

I June my mother called me because she had gout and was in agony. I spent the summer driving back and forth in order to help her. At the end of August she had a stroke and she died in early September.

Those are sort of the highlights. I know it sounds as though life was awful, but really, most of it has been bearable. Mom was 95 when she died, and she told us, and wrote it in her health care proxy and everywhere possible that she didn't want to be kept alive on tubes. She also didn't want any of her kids (she really meant me, but was covering all bases) to spend his or her life Taking Care of Mom. She wasn't going to have it.

And there are good times, too. A good family, friends, nice landlords who supplied me with dinner when I was recuperating from the shoulder surgery are all part of the good times.

Nancy
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us