The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investment Analysis Clubs / The BMW Method

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/i-am-reading-the-book-and-just-to-make-it-30429177.aspx

Subject:  Re: The Polygraph Machine Date:  12/12/2012  9:05 PM
Author:  aspenglow Number:  40846 of 41594

I am reading the book, and just to make it interesting I sold more puts on BRK.B - at strike prices ranging from 75 to 87.50 at a variety of expiration all the way out to 2015. So this gambit made quite a nice move today, but the question is whether to hold till expiration or book at least some early gains

The 1.10 P/BV was a sizable part of my investing thesis. If the company added another 10% to that "floor" for buybacks, then that seems to have added further to my margin of safety, helping partially cushion the risk of a stock market or economic downturn.

All of the puts I wrote were varying degrees out of the money - and only the 87.50 June puts had become slightly in the money for just a few days recently, and today's move alleviated that. Being out of the money at the time of writing is another margin of safety I build into my put-writing strategies.

-AG
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us