The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / Retire Early CampFIRE

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/quotright-now-im-making-chili-with-beef-and-30429397.aspx

Subject:  Re: Miracle on 34th Street....Movie Date:  12/12/2012  11:36 PM
Author:  ariechert Number:  659807 of 740187

"Right now I'm making chili with beef and venison in a crock pot. Adjusting spices now, probably needs more beans, too. Tonight we watch Castle on TNT. We seem to watch a lot of regular TV shows after they come to those "other" stations." - RM

A few months ago I bought a whole beef Top Round. I'm not talking about a little top round roast or piece of London Broil. I'm talking the whole muscle off the leg of a very large cow. It was probably over 30+ lbs. They told me in the store they didn't have a scale large enough to weigh it. Anyway they had two of them marked down to $37.00/each and just bought one of them. I should have bought them both.

So when I brought it home I cut it up into steaks and roasts and put it in zip lock freezer bags in my chest freezer. I took some out and roasted it in the oven and it came out kind of dry and stringy and I wasn't impressed. Not the best cut of meat but at least it's lean.

So, the last time after I ate a big hunk of the roast I ended up slicing the rest up and cutting it up into little cubes and turning it into chili by adding canned tomatoes, onion, bell pepper, garlic, chili powder, and some cumin, and a can of pinto beans I had in the cupboard. It came out excellent. Some of the best chili I ever made. I ate it with corn chips and shredded cheddar, onion, diced tomato, shredded lettuce, sour cream, and hot sauce. It was so good!

Art
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us