The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Mechanical Investing

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/first-at-the-end-of-each-year-you-found-the-best-30429579.aspx

Subject:  Re: Weekly ledger backtest Date:  12/13/2012  6:46 AM
Author:  DrBob2 Number:  240532 of 252138

First at the end of each year you found the best 5 and worst 5 ranked by TTM CAGR. Next you found the average performance for the selected best and worst performers over the next 12 months. If that is the case there appears to be a mean reversion with respect to a 12 month look back.

My motivating question was whether it is worthwhile to select screens from the top of the weekly ledger listing.

Gritton's backtester has monthly screen granularity, and it shows the beginning date of each cycle. I used Bill's weekly ledger results for the same date (or the nearest earlier one) the find out which screens had the best and worst performance over the previous 12 months. The backtester then showed me the returns for monthly cycle.

This was basically a test of What's Working Lately and What's not Working Lately. Using a 12-month lookback does not appear to add value; perhaps a shorter period would.

DB2
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us