The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Paying For College


Subject:  Re: split residency Date:  12/13/2012  11:10 AM
Author:  PSUEngineer Number:  8001 of 8482

If you want to teach your kids to line up like sheep to a slaughter, not question convention and investigate unconventional ways to legally pay less for what they want, be my guest. Meanwhile I will teach our kids to look for those loopholes and take advantage of them until they are removed from the legal side of the equation. Lord knows the math is stacked against us even with those loop holes.

I don't have a problem with someone using loopholes as long as they stay within the parameters and spirit of the loophole.

In your case, that means you don't just change your address, vehicle license, where you file your taxes and where you vote but yet continue to live with your husband and kids in PA. If you are going to become a VA resident for in-state tuition, then you follow the requirements. You don't just spend a few weekends in your cottage. You will live there full time while your kid attends high school back in PA. Do you really want to be separated from your family?

Copyright 1996-2018 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us