The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / Retire Early CampFIRE

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/well-i-thought-about-changing-my-screen-name-for-30430293.aspx

Subject:  Re: amazon's best read of the yr. Date:  12/13/2012  1:06 PM
Author:  BGinNJ Number:  659877 of 741383

Well I thought about changing my screen name for some time, but never got around to it. A couple of other choices were taken. I don't know if this one is just right or not, but I will keep it for now. This is the only place where I have used my name.

I considered using 1414, but felt that was a bit too derivative and would be viewed as patronizing. Do you find yourself using 1414 when you sing the song Yesterday in the privacy of your home? "Suddenly, I'm not half the man I used to be...".

Anyway 5656 was ruled out as being too egotistical. 1313 was too Munsterish. 1984 was too Orwellian. 9999 would be too endless. 0000 would be too presidential. I tried Ice-9 some years back, but it wouldn't take. That comes from my favorite Vonnegut novel Cat's Cradle. I believe it was also the name of the Greatful Dead's music publishing company. That was surely where they borrowed it from.

Finally, I considered using an anagram like Jim Morrison did for LA Woman, but none came to me quickly enough. So I settled for an easy one, not necessarily the best one.

B
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us