The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investment Analysis Clubs / Macro Economic Trends and Risks

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/i-have-followed-the-hsbc-stories-allegedly-they-30430499.aspx

Subject:  Re: British banking giant HSBC will pay Date:  12/13/2012  2:40 PM
Author:  jgc123 Number:  411217 of 459352

I have followed the HSBC stories. Allegedly they could prove that they were laundering drug money and were quoted as saying that they decided not to indict anybody on criminal charges. They also decided on a civil fine that would not destroy the bank and harm thousands of "innocent" employees.

Apparently a huge bank can launder billions of dollars of drug money, face no criminal prosecution and a fine that is "small enough not to shut down the business."

If I, an attorney in a two man firm broke a $15,000 cash fee into two fees of less than $10,000 each in order to evade the federal reporting requirements, I would be indicted on felony charges, my attorney would be negotiating the number of years that I would serve, and there would be no concern about shutting down my firm and "hurting innocent employees."

On the heels of the banking crash, bailout, robosigning scandals, tmf global scandal and then this, one could get cynical after a while if one were so inclined.
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us