The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investment Analysis Clubs / Macro Economic Trends and Risks

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/rumpy-says-i-think-that-many-of-the-feds-30430610.aspx

Subject:  Re: Rewarding bad behavior... Date:  12/13/2012  3:32 PM
Author:  rainphakir Number:  411224 of 465111

Rumpy says:
I think that many of the Fed's policies of having the opposite of the intended effect and that they would improve the situation with tighter instead of looser policies.

Warrl responds:

1 I disagree with the first part of this. I think the Fed has smart people, and the actual results match the intended results.

2 However, what they CLAIM as the intent does not necessarily match the intended results.

I agree with Warrl's @1 response, there ARE smart people in the Fed;
and disagree with #2.

What is lost or forgotten in the dialogue is the 'soft landing for the US economy'

Back in mid 2008 to late 2008, when it became obvious that we were in for a REAL economic problem, the official, government response was to develop a plan for a 'soft landing'.

In 1st Quarter 2009, a public speach (along with written pieces) reiterated this goal 'soft landing for US economy', and added that many people would continue to be unhappy.

This public prediction that many would be unhappy has come to pass.
AND - the goal of 'soft landing for US economy', at this point in time seems to have been successful.

Therefore, the claimed intent MATCHES the intended/achieved results.

fwiw
ralph
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us