The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Politics & Current Events / Political Asylum

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/the-feds-are-the-ones-not-furnishing-the-adequate-30430628.aspx

Subject:  Re: PA says no state exchange for Obamacare Date:  12/13/2012  3:39 PM
Author:  sykesix Number:  1844750 of 1962119

The Feds are the ones not furnishing the adequate information to the states.

This means that either the Feds are "paid off", or it means it's another case of yuppies not knowing what they are doing.

Either way....

When this is done, health care will cost more, and be of lesser quality.

Heh. I gave your post a rec for the amusement value. Every single Republican politician who has ever discussed health care reform has said there needs to be more competition in the insurance market and ideally insurance needs to be purchasable across state lines. Mitt Romney, John McCain, Sarah Palin, Paul Ryan, Eric Cantor, all of them have made statements to that effect.

The way to do this, of course, is to set up a system where in additional to the regular insurance market you have a marketplace of easily comparable plans and prices. Make shopping for insurance more like shopping for airline tickets, in other words. Two states have already done this. One is Massachusetts. Its exchange was set up by then Gov. Mitt Romney. He explained he did this because he likes to be able to fire his insurance company (I happen to agree with him on this point). The other was in ultra-conservative Utah. Utahns believe strongly in unleashing the power of the free market and felt this was the best way to do it. This system, of course, is called an insurance exchange.

So, now all the states can get an exchange paid for in part by the Federal government and the states can even form regional exchanges if they want, so you can buy insurance across state lines. Major conservative victory, right? The Republicans are getting exactly what they said they wanted. Break out the champagne!

Wrong. All Republicans have now done a complete 180. Insurance exchanges are no longer an important free market tool. Exchanges are now the work of the devil which will destroy health care! Increasing competition won't drive down prices, increasing competition drives them up! Stop the madness!

A lot of people thought Mitt Romney was a poor choice for the Republican nomination. I disagree, I think he was an excellent choice. The modern Republican party defines itself by what it is against. Therefore being a Republican requires discarding any of your previous positions at anytime so you can be against whatever your opponent is for. Mitt Romney had the ability to do that like no other candidate I've ever seen. Really, the perfect modern Republican candidate. Unelectable, but perfect.
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us