The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Religion & Culture / Atheist Fools

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/i-agree-whack-the-ball-back-into-boneheads-30430727.aspx

Subject:  Re: OT: Boehner's gambit, and how to answer Date:  12/13/2012  4:26 PM
Author:  1poorguy Number:  414697 of 443902

I agree. Whack the ball back into Bonehead's court. Let him reveal the true agenda of the far right.

The more I think about it the more I come to the conclusion that spending cuts (with a few targeted exceptions) are a horrible idea.

The USofA is not Luxembourg. Or Monaco. We're a HUGE country with over 300M people in it. That requires a sizable government to govern, and to maintain infrastructure. And that requires money. A lot of money. And the more services and protections we expect, the more it costs. We have to pay for what we get (either now, or later - it will cost more later!).

I don't pretend to have a clue how much it takes to run a nation of this size and complexity. But I contend that our present rate of taxation is too low to do the job in a fiscally sound way (i.e. without running a large deficit). Even if we did cut back defense, and improved inefficiencies in other programs, I don't think the government of such a large country can function on the revenues this country brings in.

Not that I want to pay more in taxes. I don't. But we all need to.

1poorguy (ready for some cliff-diving...and realizing that most of the spending cuts will be reversed later anyway)
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us