The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Politics & Current Events / Political Asylum

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/i-have-managed-companies-with-union-shops-for-most-30430751.aspx

Subject:  Re: The difference Date:  12/13/2012  4:37 PM
Author:  SGIZ1 Number:  1844771 of 1966895

I have managed companies with union shops for most of my career.

I can tell you from experience that from the company standpoint the cons far outweigh pros regarding union workers, contracts, etc.

For example, 3 years ago we a record setting year and were running 47 shop employees. As the economy tanked over the past 3 years so did our business, we had to let go of 29 shop employees in that stretch where we are at 18 today and barely getting by. However the union does not allow the manager of the company to choose which employees get laid off, they have a senority contract in place, so we were forced to let go of newest to oldest all the way down to 18 where we stopped. Here is the problem, of the 29 that were let go about half of them were younger and better workers who had great potential and were good employees and about 12 of the oldest who were protected are 50+ yr old who are a shell of their former selves in production and ability, and of those 12 about 7 of them can't do anything more today than they did 25 years ago they are that ordinary/simple. So the union made be get rid of my "future" my "skill", and forced me to keep the worst of the group to a certain degree. We are in a position where we need to be more productive than ever before because our volume is so low, yet our workers just don't have the ability. The Union screwed us and the future of the company!!! As long as things were humming at record levels it all blended and seemed to work out, now cut to the bone it really stands out.
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us