The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Religion & Culture / Atheist Fools

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/iow-there-is-no-vested-property-right-to-ss-30430968.aspx

Subject:  Re: Entitlement, stolen... Date:  12/13/2012  7:25 PM
Author:  MDGluon Number:  414711 of 445610

IOW, there is no vested property right to SS.

"It has long been law that there is no legal right to Social Security. In two important cases, Helvering v. Davis and Flemming v. Nestor, the U.S. Supreme Court ruled that Social Security taxes are simply taxes
and convey no property or contractual rights to Social Security benefits."

So from a legal viewpoint our elected politicians can just decide to renege and kill the program......can any other insurance do that...oh wait I remember Health insurance used to be able to drop you and refuse to pay anything for just about any reason (to none) prior to ACA.

Interesting, sounds like our professionals have made sure that moral hazard no longer exists, that ethics are a nice buzz word, and that wealth really does mean "Might means right".

Of course I am not certain that our congress critters would risk the political fallout/cost of killing Social Security and Medicare....well I used to think that...now that they are various Senators like "The Senator from Koch Industry", "The Senator from Exxon", "The Senator from Cargill Inc."...well I grow uncertain.

Thanks for the data....I still disagree from a moral, civil, and political viewpoint though...We all have paid for it and there is a certain obligation there to not renege on it.

Just again my OP.

Thanks

md (Let the Elderly eat dogfood I say, or eat the children...whichever)
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us