The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / Retire Early CampFIRE

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/quoti-remember-one-feedback-i-received-30430990.aspx

Subject:  Re: Millionaires, Billionaires, and Teachers Date:  12/13/2012  7:48 PM
Author:  ariechert Number:  659923 of 736410

"I remember one feedback I received: "Shouldn't be a teacher, not assertive enough." Boy, that really stung at the time, but I now realize the person was right. I am so glad I never went into teaching." - Andrew
----------

Same here. I am definitely NOT an Alpha male. Not competitive, not aggressive, not combative, and I'm a major conflict avoider. It's no wonder that so many people in my life have thought I was gay, including my dad.

My best friend once said to me, "Art, responsibility rolls off you like water off a duck's back."

My job for the first 8.5 years I worked at the UT Vet school was as the facilities manager and I had to supervise 13 employees. It was a constant battle to get them to do any work, that is if they showed up. The second half of my tenure there I worked in Experimental Oncology doing all the Lab Animal Work, which meant giving cancer to animals and then giving them drugs to try and cure them - then at the end of the experiment I euthanized the animals necropsied them looking for tumors and processed the tissue.

I did have a pretty sweet gig at the University of Georgia School of Pharmacy from 1980-1982 managing their little Lab Animal Facility up on the roof. I only had two employees to supervise and unlike the UT Vet School only ~ 6 dogs.

At the UT Vet School at any one time we had hundreds of dogs, ~ 90 cats, rabbits, hamsters, chinchillas, thousands of mice and rats, lemurs, snakes, turtles, lizzards, parrots, pigeons, guinea pigs, etc. etc. etc.

Anyway, going from that to a high school classroom was pretty traumatic. My favorite thing while I was working was to go into a room full of animals by myself and just work taking care of animals for a couple of hours. It was quiet and for that brief period of time no one bothered me.

Art
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us