The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Miscellaneous / Climate Change

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/the-subject-of-firestorms-and-global-warming-came-30431132.aspx

Subject:  Re: Wildfire tracking... Date:  12/13/2012  9:24 PM
Author:  jck101 Number:  39801 of 56551

The subject of firestorms and global warming came up in the context of what we cannot do with current woodland fire models. I was trying to give the reporter an idea of the limits of our research program. Despite the interest of the reporter, firestorms and the influence of global warming are completely beyond our scope, and we did not propose to address these subjects. They were never even mentioned, and properly so.

Here is where my confusion is then:

"There's some similarity between epidemics of infectious diseases and wildfires," Cobb said. "They both need fuel. In the cases of an epidemic the fuel is people who are susceptible to a disease. .. The spatial pattern as it moves across a continent is similar. Where they depart is the phenomenon of a firestorm. A firestorm is a wildfire gone crazy and it has its own special dynamics that a wildfire doesn't have."

He added, "nobody is looking forward to the kinds of firestorms that global warming may bring. If we have hotter weather and a drier climate and trees being killed by beetles -- that's a bad combination."

So obviously global warming was brought up and to me it looked like an add in for whatever reason which is why I asked the question (plus this is the climate change board).
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us