The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investment Analysis Clubs / The BMW Method

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/i-thought-of-this-remark-by-jackcade-about-the-mr-30431171.aspx

Subject:  Re: Where is BMW Date:  12/13/2012  9:51 PM
Author:  culcha Number:  40855 of 41633

I thought of this remark by JackCade about the Mr. Goodbuy lists: He said the lists and the data were supposed to be a mechanical approach to finding BMWm candidate stocks.

I never thought that it was advisable to buy the top stocks on a given list, and I myself really only paid attention to lists that took the dividend yield into account. I pretty much ignored the other lists.

But then, I thought, the next step would have been to back-test the screens -- as one does with any mechanical method -- and find the one which was most useful in predicting BMWm success.

But, now that I think about it, the BMW method was not really ONE method that lent itself to back-testing, but a whole family of methods that probably varied a lot from person to person. (As I indicated above, I myself considered dividends as part of the BMW method, but I can imagine that others would use the method without regard to dividends.) Some people (like Jim) probably used the BMW method to great effect; others (like me) struggle with trying to use it.

culcha
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us