The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Personal Finances / Living Below Your Means

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/denouement-about-my-semi-experimental-cataract-30431196.aspx

Subject:  Re: saving money on medical care Date:  12/13/2012  10:19 PM
Author:  alstroemeria Number:  869577 of 883868

DENOUEMENT

About my semi-experimental cataract surgery...I had it yesterday and went to the followup appointment today.

I did go ahead with the study--the doctor has done another 24 procedures using the new laser technique. I can't compare it to the "standard of care" procedure since it's the only one I've had. While I wouldn't call the experience a pleasure--well the organized and very kind staff of my doctor were awesome, it was alright. And I can't believe how great my vision is already in my left eye--it tested 20/25! Hasn't been that good for 30 years.

Someone asked why the procedure wasn't free since it's part of a study...only one aspect is different than the usual procedure, so the $475 off deal is all there is, take it or leave it. I had to pay full price for the surgery center and anesthetist and half price for the ophthalmologist. I decided to take the deal, and I'm glad I did. If my other eye needs cataract surgery soon enough to participate in the study again, I expect I will if all continues to go well.

Someone asked about our cr@ppy health insurance that doesn't pay for lens replacement after cataract removal...my husband is a state employee (until the end of this month), and govt employee health insurance is not gold-plated in most locales these days.
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us