The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Personal Finances / Building / Maintaining a Home

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/no-not-like-kitchen-cabinets-they-will-rest-on-30431769.aspx

Subject:  Re: more carpentry advice :-) Date:  12/14/2012  10:30 AM
Author:  1poorguy Number:  123343 of 129262

No, not like kitchen cabinets. They will rest on the floor.

The furring strips are there because there is a baseboard around the garage just above the stem (i.e. NOT on the floor). The simplest way to deal with that is furring strips 3/4" thick (which is how thick the base is) so I don't have to bother with fancy cuts around the base.

I think maybe you're describing 8' tall, 3/4" thick, and 3" wide, with the vertical walls of the cabinets resting against each strip.

Yes. Though they will be cut to 7' 5" because the top of the baseboard is 7" above the garage floor. I could just let them project above the top by 7"...no harm...just not as attractive, so I plan to cut them.

I am planning on using adhesive (wood glue, or maybe Liquid Nails) wherever wood meets wood. In addition to fasteners.

The structure should mostly free-stand, though without a backing (and the presence of cabinet doors on the front) it will be a bit front-heavy. The wall attachment is just for additional stability (as a sheet of backing would) and to make sure it doesn't try to fall at any point. A few attach points at the top should make sure it doesn't go anywhere. Even simple metal angle brackets would do that job.

At approximately the 40" mark I plan to rout grooves in the bulkheads so that a fixed shelf can be inserted/attached. Above and below this I will use those metal strips with the tabs for adjustable shelving.
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us