The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / Retire Early Liberal Edition

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/i-am-sickend-by-this-i-taught-for-37-years-i-30433227.aspx

Subject:  Re: Connecticut Date:  12/14/2012  9:56 PM
Author:  PucksFool Number:  46797 of 63267

I am sickend by this.

I taught for 37 years. I began my career at a Job Corp Center. It was a transformative experience for me. I always hoped it was for the students too. But violence among 16-21 year-old high school dropouts was not uncommon. One day two of my better students brought their problem into my room, and I stepped in-between them. I got hit in the shoulder. Instantly the fight was over. They knew if I picked up the phone and called security they were gone. I didn't. They stayed and graduated. We all learned a lesson.

15 years later, after changing to elementary education, I taught for a principal who believed in being proactive. While other schools were doing the normal fire and severe weather drills, he had us doing earthquake and intruder drills. He was a M*A*S*H fan; if w heard " Mr.O'Riely report to the office." come over the intercom, we knew to lock the doors, close the blinds, and get the kids into a corner of the room and quiet. All the teachers thought he was a bit of a worrywart/ And then there was Columbine. And then there was Jonesville. And by the time I retired, I'm sorry to say, I lost track.

I want today to have never happened. I'm sure the children, teachers, and parents of Newton, CT feel the same. Unfortunately, it's just pretty to think so.

PF
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us