The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / Retire Early Liberal Edition

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/i-blame-all-of-you-for-making-me-take-tele-off-of-30433299.aspx

Subject:  Re: Connecticut Date:  12/14/2012  10:49 PM
Author:  salaryguru Number:  46799 of 85827

I blame all of you for making me take tele off of ignore so I could see what strange parallels he tried to draw between drunk driving and gun violence.

So . . . Here's what I read:
Same for drunk driving. How well did that work out for prohibition?

Prohibition did not work out well, and I suspect that an attempt to outlaw guns would work out equally poorly . . . or worse.

But although we no longer have prohibition, we do have strict laws about drinking and driving. You may feel like they are not enforced sufficiently, but they exist. We also charge high license fees and apply strict regulations to establishments that sell and dispense alcohol.

In addition, we have fairly rigid requirements for being allowed to drive. I believe all states require that applicants pass a test. Further, cars are all required to be licensed and to pay an annual fee to be allowed on the road. Most states even require periodic safety and pollution tests for all cars. There is a readily accessible data base of all drivers and all legal automobiles that allows law enforcement officials to identify a driver or car and their associated records in a matte