The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Religion & Culture / Atheist Fools

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/putting-up-a-billboard-proclaiming-quotthe-30433380.aspx

Subject:  Re: Good Grief! A Saddle On A Dinosaur? Date:  12/14/2012  11:59 PM
Author:  khalou Number:  414798 of 439213

Putting up a billboard proclaiming "The Museum of Ignorance" wouldn't change the mind of a bible-thumping mama in the car on the way. It might raise a question in the mind of the 10 year old in the back seat. It would start the process of putting another thought in the head of the less committed. It would spark outrage and conversation, news columns and condemnation - all the same things that eventually ended slavery, brought women the right to vote, and so on.

You are, of course, correct.

Allowing wrong to stand unchallenged should be intolerable.

There is this guy at work that calls Obama's fitness as president into question whenever possible. I usually let it go because everyone is entitled to their opinion and I don't suppose anything I say will convince him otherwise.
One day, he mentioned that Obamacare will someday prevent someone from receiving the treatment that they deserve at the order of some government official and he can't wait to see the court case that this will bring about.

I spoke up.

I reminded him that, prior to Obamacare, insurance company policy did this on a daily basis and there were no successful court cases that ever overturned such non-medical decisions by corporate interests.

He probably didn't change his mind, but he became very quiet- which was an improvement.

k
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us