The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investment Analysis Clubs / The BMW Method

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/based-on-this-thread-its-easy-to-see-why-hed-30433443.aspx

Subject:  Re: Where is BMW Date:  12/15/2012  1:57 AM
Author:  kelbon Number:  40863 of 41629

Based on this thread its easy to see why he'd post less.

Hmm. I'm not so sure. It could be he didn't like being hounded and challenged as much as he was, sure, that makes sense, but perhaps it's a bit more complicated. When you aggressively stick your neck out and are proved by events, not posters, to be demonstratively and definitively wrong that can sometimes lead to withdrawal and contrition. Just a speculation.

I went back and looked at a few posts and I was drawn to one because of it's title line: "What a Jerk!" The jerk in question was Alan Greenspan. I would be the first to agree that Greenspan has been a jerk; being an acolyte of Ayn Rand for instance. But this was far from what BMW had in mind.

http://boards.fool.com/what-a-jerk-25880095.aspx?sort=recomm...

The post starts: Today, the market dropped like a stone to a large degree because Alan Greenspan ran off at the mouth. He needs to learn to keep his trap shut

What did Greenspan open his "trap" about in September '07? He observed that the behavior of the market in the preceding seven weeks was reminiscent in many respects to 1998 and the stock market crash of 1987. Greenspan was right, not only that it was reminiscent but it was predictive. We all know what happened in short order.

BMW goes on:

I think Alan Greenspan should spend some time showing Mike's BMW charts to his friends. That would tell the true story much better and it would stop the silliness on the street. Mr. Breenspan has allowed himsoef to become a big piece of the manipulation. He needs to stop that silliness.

I think this is a perfect oportunity to pick up some bargains. Mr. Market is having a sale and we need to be shopping for underpriced securities. Remember, for every seller that these gloom and doom stories create, there is a buyer who knows what he is buying and why.

In a sad sort of way, I guesswe should thank Alan Greenspan for providing such a great opportunity. However, I feel sorry for the suckers who were manipulated into selling great companies at their low price. That is just wrong, but that is a part of this game called investing. The key to success is to learn how to not be the sucker.

Perhaps BMW's hubris and easy way with words, even in this one post, given what came next, was one step along the road to withdrawal and submission.

Just sayin'

kelbon
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us