The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Health & Fitness / Fools Under Pressure

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/are-we-doomed-30435117.aspx

Subject:  Are We Doomed? Date:  12/16/2012  10:57 AM
Author:  JohnEBgood Number:  701 of 757

I had my annual physical this week. I went to a new primary care physician. The old one was "pretty good".....but I decided when it comes to medical care, I'd rather set the bar a little higher ;o)

Anyway, I brought up the topic of my 3 blood pressure meds. My BP readings are low enough that doctors are satisfied. But I'm a little concerned about being overmedicated (I do get slight dizziness, but that's pretty rare). It's just that I believe that there is a tendency to overmedicate people, and that long term problems can develop without our being aware.

Any way, the doc didn't want to discuss possibly lowering the dosage of anything. He said, "if you're not having side effects, don't make any changes.....these meds can't HURT you, they can only PROTECT you."

OK...I get it. I'm not an idiot. I'm well aware of the dangers of hypertension.

But then he added something that made me wonder. He said that blood pressure tends to go up with age, motioning with his hand as if to draw an imaginary graph. OK....this is not news to me. But it gave me pause.

Is the rise INEVITABLE? Simply a consequence of getting older? Or, with some effort re lifestyle can we avoid the increase?

What do you think?

Jack
Copyright 1996-2017 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us