The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/a-motley-fool-member-pointed-out-that-this-30443002.aspx

Subject:  Re: TaxCut 2011 qual. div. mistake Date:  12/19/2012  11:18 PM
Author:  Wradical Number:  117173 of 121219

A Motley Fool member pointed out that this software mistakenly adds in qualified dividends as ordinary income. I looked at my 2011 Form 1040 and sure enough! He is right!

I overpaid the 2011 Federal Income tax based on this mistake. I still haven't checked previous years.

How can I re-submit my 2011 income tax with a recalculated income? What is the correct way to recalculate Form 1040 Line 22 (total income) which currently adds in the Ordinary Dividends but simply ignores Qualified Dividends?

===============================
I think your first and third paragraphs are contradictory. But either way - all dividends, including qualified dividends, ARE included in your income, down through the point of Taxable Income, which is about 1/3 way down the 2nd page. THEN you go to the "Qualified Dividend and Capital Gain tax calculation" worksheet, where you pull out the qualified dividends and capital gains, and compute the tax (if any)separately for those items.

But for all other purposes, the qualified dividends are like other income items.

Bill
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us