The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/i-would-probably-only-advertise-thru-a-bulletin-30444209.aspx

Subject:  Re: Registered Tax Return Preparer? Date:  12/20/2012  2:57 PM
Author:  Wradical Number:  117177 of 121482

I would probably only advertise thru a bulletin board a work, where pretty much everyone is well compensated corporate type person. Is there a better class of clients?
=============================================
That's not a bad class of clients.

I tend to think the perfect new client would be a C-Corporation with a fiscal year ending in May or August. From January 15 through May 15, I have more than enough work. But at this stage of life, I'm more fussy.

BUT consider:

1. Many, if not most, "well compensated corporate types" are not likely to want to have a co-worker see how much they're making. Even if you can make a very educated guess.

2. AND - their income and financial situation might be a little over your head as you're just starting out. They might well want advice on financial planning, estate planning, and other things besides just getting their 1040 done.

3. Does your company have rules about moonlighting, or at least soliciting business on the premises, even from colleagues?

If you're really serious about making money at this, plan to expand your horizons further, in terms of your marketing efforts.

Bill
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us