The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/fiscal-cliff-and-dividend-paying-stocks-30446945.aspx

Subject:  Fiscal cliff and dividend paying stocks Date:  12/22/2012  5:59 AM
Author:  blairsp Number:  117206 of 121061

I haven't found a discussion of the fiscal cliff on the other boards so I hope I'm in the right place.

It seems to me letting the tax rate on dividends increase would discourage investment in dividend paying stocks. These value stocks have been a part of my portfolio for years but now I'm seriously starting to think of selling all shares in all stocks, hang onto the cash until after tax season then reinvest elsewhere.

When thinking of reinvesting I've been told to purchase the same stocks in my RothIRA, I have some dividend stocks there today but not all. This concerns me.

I heard comments that even the RothIRA is subject to change with the Government's focus on collecting more taxes.

So what are other people doing? My current brokerage account has a mixture of gains and losses so I think selling all would produce a very small taxable gain. I just don't like the idea that I have to stop using one of the vehicles I have been relying on for growth toward retirement.

Any thoughts on what to do in 2012 to minimize the tax impact and have a safe investment plan for the future?

Thanks, Steve
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us