The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Canadian Investing / Canada (General)


Subject:  Re: Suggestions on US tax filing for NR Canadian Date:  12/27/2012  1:43 AM
Author:  rev2217 Number:  63172 of 64584


One last thing: filing a US tax report is not the hell that americans make it appear to be. A simplified 1040NR (the tax form for Non-Resident) is 2 pages long, one of them being your infos and dependants. Last time I filled one, filling my adress was the most challenging thing on that form.

The headache of filing U. S. income tax forms is not the basic form (1040, 1040A, 1040NR, etc.). Rather, it's the plethora of "schedules," "workheets," and other supplemental forms that get attached thereto, coupled with rounding up all of the information that one needs to complete all of those forms (W-2's from employers, various 1099's from financial institutions and other payors, documentation of deductions and expenses, etc.). Last year, my federal tax return was about twelve pages as submitted -- and then most of the fifty states require a state tax return that is just as complicated as the federal tax return. Also, anybody who lives in one state and works in another typically must file tax returns in both states.

Copyright 1996-2018 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us