The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / New Paradigm Investing

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/am-i-the-only-one-here-considering-taking-30454169.aspx

Subject:  Re: The Fiscal Cliff Date:  12/28/2012  7:07 AM
Author:  rjf53 Number:  65581 of 68617

Am I the only one here considering taking everything off the table today?

Probably not, but unlike Jon, most investors don't have the ability or the Cahonas to turn on a dime and re-invest money as quickly as he does as he monitors every tick of the market(s) 24 hours a day.

Even if you were to avoid any sudden sell off in the market related to the "fiscal cliff" unless your smart enough to predict any sudden rally that might result from a resolution (which likely would occur with our markets closed) you may very well do yourself more harm than good. Especially if you are like a lot of investors, after shooting themselves in the foot, that wait, and wait, and wait, for a pullback that doesn't come.

Question; do you know anyone who got scared out of the market during the crash of 2008 and is still not back in, or if they are, got back in at higher prices?

Then there is the question as to how bad, over the long term, the fiscal cliff would actually be. Lets see, we have a long term debt problem. The fiscal cliff will raise revenue and reduce spending. Hmmm; how might that impact the market over the long term?

I can't speak for anyone else, but in my case I always keep a high level of cash for when opportunities present themselves, if anything, I'm thinking the "fiscal cliff" may just end up being a opportunity for me.

B
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us