The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/lack-of-amt-patch-by-early-jan-30455948.aspx

Subject:  Lack of AMT patch by early Jan Date:  12/29/2012  11:06 AM
Author:  DeltaOne81 Number:  117231 of 121589

According to my calculations:
1) if there's no AMT patch I will owe a few thousand dollars in AMT - mostly because I live in a high tax state (NJ). Mortgage interest for a primary resident and charitable count as deductions for AMT, but state income and local property taxes don't, right?
2) in this case I will not quality for any safe harbor for penalties. Primarily bc last year we paid a chunk of extra capital gains taxes, so I could not/did not choose to withhold enough to meet the "100% of prior years taxes" safe harbor.

So my question is... If no AMT patch is decided by Jan 14 or so, should I mail in an estimated payment to cover the AMT extra in order to avoid penalties? Or is there some exclusion for penalties with regards to AMT (seems unlikely - unless maybe there's word of a special thing for this year)?

Of important note - in the event an AMT patch was passed after I mailed it in, while annoying, it would not be a hardship to do without the few thousand for a couple months.
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us