The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/as-i-understand-it-the-contribution-limit-for-30457303.aspx

Subject:  Re: 2012 401K Contribution Limit Date:  12/30/2012  2:13 PM
Author:  aj485 Number:  117248 of 121095

As I understand it, the contribution limit for 2012 is $17,000 plus the over 50 years old catch-up contribution of $5,500 for a total of $22,500 for someone in their mid fifties.

Correct.

If I switched employers in October, how is that limit modified for the former employer. I received a check from the former plan with the indication that it was an excess contribution and I am trying to figure if their calculation is approximately correct.

The limit is not adjusted for any specific employer based your length of employment or how many employers you have during a particular year. It is up to you, as the employee, to ensure that your contributions are within the limits when you have multiple employers during a single year.

However, the plan itself could have some limitations on the % of income that you can contribute, or you could be getting contributions back because you were a highly compensated employee. I would suggest that you contact the plan administrator and ask them why the contributions were considered 'excess'.

AJ
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us