The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/most-of-my-ex-pat-friends-dont-even-declare-30457369.aspx

Subject:  Re: dividends from foreign corporation as gift? Date:  12/30/2012  3:13 PM
Author:  TMFPMarti Number:  117249 of 121097

Most of my ex pat friends don't even declare their foreign income at all or file an FBAR form.

Make sure you check the silver after they visit. The fact that they've not yet been caught doesn't change the accompanying fact that they're thieves.

You've been reporting things correctly (including your FBAR reports, I assume). I don't know what reading you referenced, but from what I read elsewhere the US government is really touchy about proper foreign interest reporting.

I just double checked my passport, and my visas from the UK didn't include a caveat that I didn't really have to comply with their rules while there. One hates to be so blunt, but you and your friends are here by the good graces of the American people. If we make it too hard for your taste, leave. If not, comply with the law.

Phil
Rule Your Retirement Home Fool
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us