The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/retirement-college-and-obamanomics-30457583.aspx

Subject:  Retirement, college, and Obamanomics Date:  12/30/2012  6:13 PM
Author:  pch1138 Number:  71115 of 74759

Most of the conventional and unconventional wisdom says to save for retirement first, and your kids college second (if at all). However, I've talked to a lot of people that say it just feels right to them to be able to ensure their children a good education and that's how my wife and I feel.

I'm starting to second guess how we are saving. I can't help but to think that we are saving a lot (about 25-35% between savings, retirement, and college savings - we each make about $100k/ year), but i am going to end up paying for my kids' educations ( have 2 kids) as well as other peoples' who haven't saved, and also paying for other peoples' retirement who haven't been as disciplined (within 20 years, is it really likely the government will confiscate my 401k and ira (we max out both, but make sacrifices to do it!). What's the point?!? I feel people who have slacked off will get the same education for their kids and have the same level of retirement as us.

I'm curious what peoples' strategies or thoughts on college savings are, and how you are hedging for the future....

Paul
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us