The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Politics & Current Events / Political Asylum

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/a-camera-surveillance-system-requires-someone-is-30457727.aspx

Subject:  Re: Michael Moore: guns in schools would work Date:  12/30/2012  8:23 PM
Author:  Rightime Number:  1849778 of 1976471

A Camera Surveillance System requires someone is watching, at least watching the cameras 10 or 12 hours a day.

I beleive that's what I was trying to say.

That's understandable, and it has practicalities. However, it still requires an immediate response to be effective in completely stoping someone like the sicko in the most recent school shooting, right?

You're suggesting an armed trained guard watching a Surveillance System, and another trained Surveillance System expert to watch during off hours, right?

Average pay of a police officer is $40k a year, but let's low-ball the salary at say $30k a year. On top of that there's healthcare benefits, pension Or at least a 401k matching, payroll taxes SSDI etc... so you're actually talking about $42K a year. Adding up the costs to the public school system across the nation: (I have trouble counting all the zeros here but) ~ Eight Billion Dollars to run an effective Camera Surveillance System with armed trained professionals.

If I was to ask the average american to cough up enough in votes to approve another eight billion in appropriations to raise teacher pay to attract more science and math teachers it would cause endless name-calling, liberal suck-up, teacher's get wwaaayyyyy too much, but if it's to protect gun rights, well.... that's a different matter.
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us