The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / Retire Early CampFIRE

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/quota-third-public-library-chinese-american-30458202.aspx

Subject:  Re: A shelf full of books about books Date:  12/31/2012  9:28 AM
Author:  Art53 Number:  662950 of 734987

"A third public library Chinese American woman writer supporter from the area was Maxine Hong Kingston, much acclaimed Bay Area scholar." - Catmeyoo

I've read that book! It was excellent! I think I've read the one about Woman Warrior, girlhood among ghosts too.

"Amy Tan plays with the famous rock band The Rock Bottom Remainders, which include people like Dave Barry, Maya Angelou, Ridley Pearson, , Barbara Kingsolver, Greg Iles—they played several times through the years at the American Library Association conventions."

There is a chapter in the book I'm reading now about Amy Tan playing in the rock band. It's pretty funny. I was wondering how her husband, "Lou" , felt about her taking off to pay with her band? They got married the same year we did. Amy Tan is one year older than I am.

"You and Bonnie should get yourselves to San Francisco for Chinese New Year some time Art. It is so much fun, the weather is great, the festivities are glorious and the food is delicious. 2013 is the Year of the Snake and the activities start in early February."

I was born in a Snake Year so next year is supposed to be my year. A Snake year is supposed to be my lucky year. The problem with me traveling is my arthritis in my hips and back. When I wake up in the morning I'm really achey and it takes me quite a while to get going in the morning. I hobble around the house when I first wake up. I use a cane to kind of balance myself. It really is painful. I take Naproxen (generic Aleve) twice a day.

Anyway, so yes I still travel some, but it is quite onerous and when I wake up and don't feel good I'm grouchy and don't want to interact with people or go anywhere. I just want to be left alone till I'm feeling better.

"Founder Kathi Kamen Goldmark[1] died on May 24, 2012.[2] The original band members collaborated on a book about the band, Mid-Life Confidential. Published author Al Kooper also was a member for some time.”

The older we get the more of our generation that will have died and crossed over. A couple of years ago I remember my father in law (RD) making the comment "everyone I know is dead!" He said it in a funny way. RD died on January 10th of this year so soon he will have been dead for a year. He was a Church of Christ preacher so he was always saying funny things.

Art
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us