The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Personal Finances / Buying or Selling a Home


Subject:  Re: Rental Property Questions Date:  12/31/2012  2:41 PM
Author:  jrdown Number:  124520 of 128887

Here in California you must give a "3 day notice to pay or quit" if they are late in their rent. Then, if they don't pay, you must give them either a 30-day notice or 60-day notice. If the tenant has been there up to one year then a 30-day will suffice. If the tenant has been there a year and a day (or more) then a 60-day notice is required. Of course, during that time the tenant may not pay you at all but you still have to wait. After the 60 days you can set up a court appearance but you won't be getting in right away. The tenant may not move either. It can be a huge mess for the landlord in this state.

Copyright 1996-2018 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us