The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Personal Finances / Credit Cards and Consumer Debt

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/wait-hold-up-man-i-disagree-entirely-i-pay-pmts-30459673.aspx

Subject:  Re: Settlement Date:  1/1/2013  12:30 AM
Author:  aj485 Number:  306587 of 308881

WAIT HOLD UP MAN I disagree entirely.

I pay pmts on the car so I don't have to give the money to mom and dad. It keeps my credit rating up. I'm not paying the car off.

As long as you allow your parents to control your finances, you will never be able to be financially responsible, then.

I get that there are advantages to both you and your parents for you to live with them. But maybe you need to change the arrangement. Even if you don't feel like you can/should move out - maybe you could pay your parents an agreed upon amount each month/paycheck for room and board, in exchange for not having to show them the details of your finances.

Even if your car loan were paid off tomorrow, the improvement that you get on your score for having an installment loan with on-time payments will remain for another 10 years. And actually having a paid off loan installment loan, instead of one that you are still making payments on is better for your credit score.

AJ
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us