The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Personal Finances / Credit Cards and Consumer Debt

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/if-mom-and-dad-saw-me-having-1000-in-checking-30459713.aspx

Subject:  Re: Settlement Date:  1/1/2013  1:02 AM
Author:  Windowseat Number:  306589 of 308782

If Mom and Dad saw me having $1000 in checking they INSIST I take them to dinner everynight, buy this that at Home Depot, Walmart, JoAnns, Michael's stores, Fry's food, Safeway. The money would be gone real fast.

About this. AJ already covered the part about a regular rent payment, but if for some reason that won't work, we're not saying you have to keep the emergency fund in the checking account. I keep mine in a couple of different places, including an online savings account and a money market at Vanguard. You could easily hide the emergency fund if necessary. It's money that is set aside for emergencies. In fact, I bet that most of the posters here who have emergency funds don't keep that money in the checking account.

Heck, you could even keep it in cash and hide it somewhere.

Is this what's been stopping you? Your parents having access to your checking account?

Nancy
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us