The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Food & Drink / Vegetarian and Vegan Fools

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/vegetarian-buffalo-wings-gluten-free-version-30460385.aspx

Subject:  vegetarian buffalo 'wings' (gluten free version) Date:  1/1/2013  4:18 PM
Author:  zoningfool Number:  5471 of 5661

Made this for NYE:

Vegetarian Buffalo Wings (gluten free version)

1 head of cauliflower, broken into florets

3/4 c. of gluten-free all-purpose flour (I used Better Batter)
a few sprinkles of garlic powder
at least 1 1/2 c. of milk

1/2 c. buffalo wing sauce
1 TB melted butter, optional

Combine gf flour and garlic powder. Stir in milk, using additional milk (up to another 3/4 c) if necessary. Batter should be thin enough to easily coat the florets. (consistency a bit thicker than crepe batter)

Place florets in sprayed 13x9 pan and bake in preheated 450 degree oven 15-18 minutes. While baking, combine wing sauce and butter. Remove florets from oven and toss with prepared wing sauce. Return to oven and bake an additional 5 minutes.

Serve with dressing of choice (I don't like blue cheese, so I used ranch).

Note: by omitting the buffalo sauce on half of the cauliflower nuggets, I discovered that this makes an excellent breaded cauliflower as well--very close to 'fried' . Since I dislike spicy food, I actually preferred the ones without the buffalo sauce. I would definitely make this again.

additional note: if using regular wheat flour, decrease the milk to 3/4 c. (gf flours are 'thirstier' and require more liquid than wheat flours).
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us