The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Arts, Travel & Entertainment / Help With This Home Theater

URL:  http://boards.fool.com/kenneth-id-go-with-what-you-have-and-placed-as-30462620.aspx

Subject:  Re: Advice sought, home theater speakers Date:  1/2/2013  5:39 PM
Author:  MichaelRead Number:  10094 of 10534

Kenneth, I’d go with what you have and placed as you said. The Yamaha a/v amp has YPAO and that will give you a basic starting point to upgrade pairs of speakers but I think you may be surprised how well what you have sounds.

Depending on how the system sounds and you do decide to swap out I would first look at the surrounds and get bipole/dipole (firing forward and backwards). What you have are probably acceptable yet having diffuse surrounds really does change the sound perception. I would then look at a good center – but the Klipsch may have a good frequency range. You’ll have to experiment.

A lot also depends on how big a room cubic capacity you have: 3,000 cubic feed as an arbitrary medium with smaller being ‘small’ and larger ‘larger’. Having too hefty speakers in a small room means its overkill (and over-expensive). The amp you bought is good to surprisingly larger rooms but linking it to speakers that because of room size cannot work in their best range is not good.

Personally I would replace (if that’s what you decide) with matched pairs and slowly incorporate other pairs as wallet allows.

MichaelR
Copyright 1996-2014 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us